Greetings! We are looking forward to another successful year and as we begin, it is important that we clearly communicate some essential aspects of our program.
1. Each instrumental student will have a small group lesson every week. These lessons are on a rotating schedule and students are responsible for remembering their lesson time.
2. Rehearsals are held every other day for each performing group. Rehearsal time is very limited. Positive behavior and effort of each student is essential for successful musical growth. Each conductor will strictly enforce their behavioral guidelines. Performing group grades ARE considered for honor/merit roll.
3. Instrumental students are responsible for coming to rehearsal prepared with their instrument, music, and supplies. They must also turn in a signed practice sheet at each lesson.
4. CONCERTS ARE MANDATORY FOR ALL MEMBERS OF PERFORMING GROUPS!!! Performances are the culmination of many hours of hard work. Please check the concert schedule for your child’s concert dates and note these on your calendar. Music is unique in that an ensemble performance is singular and cannot be duplicated. Participation is vital to the entire music experience. Students who can not attend a concert must give written notice to their conductor prior to the concert. Any student missing a concert will be asked to complete a related assignment representative of the concert experience. While illness can be unpredictable, a note is expected for any reason. Failure to complete the concert assignment or contacting the teacher will result in lowering of the student grade.
5. We look forward to a very exciting and rewarding year for all! The continued enthusiasm and support from students and parents continues to help the Shaker Junior High School Music Department grow. If there are any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.
(785-1341 ext. 4545)
Mr. Austin, Orchestra Director
Mr. Chouiniere, Band Director
Mrs. Kaplan, Chorus Director
Mr. Vasilakis, Chorus Director
Mr. Williams, Band Director